I can't believe we only have 21 more school days til summer. this year has gone by so fast. We have a lot going on for the next 21 days also. MClass window to determine the students end of year reading level and fluency begins on Monday, May 11th. The students have Case 21 testing for reading and math on Thursday, May 28th and Friday, May 29th. Also, we will be having end of year Student Led Conferences the week of June 1st. Be looking for a Student led invitation coming home in the next couple of weeks.
Reading: Students will be reading fables and determining the stories lesson and message
Math: We will be continuing a intro to fractions unit and there will be a test on Friday.
Writing: Students will be completing their final copies to their fiction stories. We will be have a writing celebration on Wednesday, April 29th from 2:45- 3:30 parents are welcome to join us. The next writing piece will be a opinion essay.
Reading: Students will compare and contrast 2 different stories
Math: Students will use strategies (place value drawing, expanded method, show all totals, old school algorithm) to add numbers to 1,000.
Writing: Write the rough draft to realistic fiction story
Holly Ridge Elementary 2015 Talent Show
"Hollywood in Holly Ridge"
Location: Holly Ridge Middle School
Rehearsal: Thursday April 16th, 6:15 pm
Talent Show: Thursday April 23rd, 6:15 pm
Hosted By: The HRE PTA
Holly Ridge Elementary invites all of our talented LABS to show off what they do best. Sign up is below! But first, some things you need to know:
If you want to sing a song, you must provide three different song choices. Songs will be assigned based on the order in which they are received. Whenever possible the first song choice will be selected. The sign up period runs from March 17 - April 2nd.
· Paper forms will be available in the School's main office March 17th and can be submitted in a drop box in the main office. However, we recommend the use of the online sign-up form.
- The talent show will be held on April 23rd, with a required rehearsal on April 16th.
- Check out the Talent Show website, setup for your convenience. You can, sign-up, find helpful information, keep informed on the latest new and updates, all right here.
Ready to sign up? Please follow these directions:
1. Sign up by Thursday, April 2nd. Click here to access the form!
2. Check back here on Saturday April 4th for final song assignments.
3. Attend the Talent Show rehearsal Thursday April 16th - 6:15 pm
4. Provide a copy of the performance music at the rehearsal on a CD
5. Attend the Talent Show Thursday April 23rd. - 6:15 pm
6. Only submit one sign-up form per act.
Here are the Rules:
1. Performances should be roughly two minutes in duration.
2. Performers must attend the rehearsal and have music prepared.
3. Music for singing acts should be instrumental versions only (no vocals).
4. Costumes must be worn at the rehearsal and must be school-appropriate.
5. Costumes must adhere to Holly Ridge Elementary School dress code.
6. No weapons or toys that look like weapons are allowed in the act.
7. No gymnastic lifts are allowed.
8. Sign up period for the Talent Show is March 17 - April 2nd.
For questions or help with music please contact Laurie and Dwight Dillman | firstname.lastname@example.org
Come out and support your Holly Ridge Family, we look forward to seeing you at the show.
Reading: Students will determine the point of view of stories. Is the story being told in 1st person or 3rd person and there are always two sides to every story.
Math: We will beginning a unit on addition and word problems. Students will have to add three or four 2 -digits numbers correctly
(34 + 73 + 12 + 28 =). We will also start memorizing addition facts and take weekly addition quizzes.
Writing: We will beginning to write a fiction story. We will start off by looking at mentor text and complete prewriting.
Reading: Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.
Writing: Students will continue to work on their final copy of their non-fiction report
Math: Students will complete a math assessment on Money on Thursday. We will begin a new unit on geometry on Friday.
- Report Cards will be sent home on Tuesday, January 27th. Please return the report card envelope by Friday, Jan. 30th
- The classroom is in need of Tissues!!!
- I will be creating another Sign up Genius for donations for the upcoming writing celebration.
- I am looking for one parent that can volunteer every week for a book club. Please email me if you are interested
Reading- Students will determine the main idea and supporting detail of non-fiction text.
Math- Students will be taking a telling time test on Tuesday, January 13th. We will begin a new math unit on Money.
Writing- Students will be revising and editing their non-fiction animal report
- We will continue MCLASS testing to determine the Mid Of Year reading levels.
- Case 21 State Math test on Thursday, January 15th
- Case 21 State Reading test on Friday,January 16th
Reading: This week in reading the students to learn about main idea and supporting detail with nonfiction text. We will also review Authors purpose from last week.
Writing: The students have completed researching thier polar animal. Students will begin to write a rough draft of their report.
Math: Students will learn how to subtract 2-digit numbers using the hundreds board and a number line. They will have a subtraction test on Thursday.
Science: Continue to learn about matter
Please let me know if you can help out with making ginger bread houses on Dec. 16th or 17th from 11:00-12:15.
In reading, we will continue the Polar Animal unit. We will be learning about the authors purpose this week (P.I.E.). A author chooses to write to persuade the reader, inform the reader or to entertain the reader. In writing, we will continue the pre-writing process for a nonfiction report by researching and taking notes on a polar animal. We will also begin the rough draft to the animal report. In math, we will begin a new unit on subtraction. Students will be learning the following strategies to help them subtract correctly expanded method, show all totals and number lines. After the winter break we will begin to memorize addition facts and have weekly addition quizzes.
We do have some winter/holiday activities planned for the last week before winter break (December 15-19th). We will be making Ginger bread houses in class on Tuesday, December 16th and decorating houses on Wednesday, December 17th. On Friday, December 19th we will be drinking Hot Coco and watching the Polar Express. I would love for parent volunteer to help out with these fun activities and donate items PLEASE. I will be creating a signup genius to help with donated items.